Management Training and Coaching
for Partners and Legal Managers
It is still rare that a lawyer's early training and experience will include management training. It is more likely that their first experience of this is just being slotted into a management role without training of any kind. This seems incongruous with the fact that law firms would not put untrained lawyers in front of clients and yet operate on the basis that experience is a great teacher for management training.
Also, it is clear, that one of the main factors of the future success of legal businesses is a highly motivated and well-managed teams. Therefore, continual updating of management training is as vital as updating technical knowledge.
When teams aren’t working effectively it will adversely affect clients, and in my opinion, colleagues and the future of the legal practice. Therefore, ambitious legal practices invest in continual management training so that they can drive success using the achievements of their motivated people.
Further, most employees, and lawyers are no exception, will leave an organisation because of a bad manager. Management skills are essential to recruit and retain talented lawyers who are motivated to excel and provide a first-class service to clients.
Speaking of clients, research reported in The Lawyer indicated why motivating staff is important, because it showed:
- Dissatisfied employees are 20% less productive than satisfied ones.
- For every 1% of employees who are dissatisfied 5% of clients are.
- Clients can identify with 92% accuracy which employees are poor performers (lack motivation)
My 4-hour workshop is customised for each management team and typically covers the following SRA competencies :
Management Skills Update
SRA Competencies A1, A2 e), A3 c) & d) A5, C1, C3, D1 & D3 a) & d)
- Role of legal and non-legal managers in a legal practice
- Communication techniques to inspire, motive and build trust
- How to delegate effectively
- Building confidence through constructive feedback
- Coaching and mentoring your team members
Motivation - SRA Competencies A1, C1
- Motivating the most important person
- Tried and tested ways to motivate individuals at work to enable them to shine
- How to spot the signs of motivation and it’s lack
- Understanding the key drivers for motivating teams including holding engaging team meetings
- Approaches to motivation including Maslow’s Hierarchy of Motivational Needs
SRA Competencies A1, A3, A5, C1, C3, D1 e), D3 a) & d)
- Understanding team dynamics
- How to deal with conflict
- How to handle difficult behaviour
- How to manage resistance
Action Success Plans are vital part of the training course as they ensure that ‘learning’ is taken into the workplace. They enable participants to set out their objectives and the steps to achieve the changes they want to make. Action Success Plans also allows course attendees to monitor and record their successes, charting the improvements they have achieved during the next 12 months; and beyond.
Excellent course – very informative and well presented. Presenter made the course interesting and enjoyableKris Minks The Keith Joseph Partnership
I found the presenter highly enthusiastic and thoroughly enjoyed the course. The delivery of the material was excellent, being in a practical context. The presenter managed to keep the group interested and actively involved in the subjects so I gained a great insight in the more complex issues of management.Tracey Riby Corries Solicitors Ltd
Good course content. Presenter made it interestingLaura Bedford Kennedys
Good Style of delivery and engagement of audiencePaddy Whur Whur Woods
‘Excellent and very informative.' ‘Very useful workbook to take back’ ‘Easily understandable and interesting.Stephensons
Excellent Presenter and particularly liked her industry experience and sharing of it.Tom Mitchell MB-law co.uk
Excellent course. Very proactive and useful. Very well presented.Amie Henshall BankfieldHeath Solicitors
Absolutely brilliant day and opportunity to exchange thoughts with your peers. Ann Page added fantastic value and insightful input to the day – thank you.Miia Numela Schofield Sweeney
it was very useful for my futureMuhammad Saqui Bashir Regents & Co
Gave a good insight into effective management and made me focus on the impact that each fee earner can have on the success of the firm.Oglethorpe Sturton & Gillibrand
Well structured – enthusiastic lecturer – would recommendLaura Dawson Horwich Farrely